Marvellous Monday Morsels

Hi all,

After yesterday, I’m thinking maybe just Marvellous Morsels might be a better name for these entries and I should forget about specifying a day in the title.  That then gives me an out when best laid plans go awry and I don’t quite meet my own deadline.

Anyway, on with this week’s crop.  I must admit there does seem to be more reading and less of the Apps and tools stuff this week, but maybe with this continuing rain, you might have time to sit at home and read a few articles whilst enjoying a cup/glass of your favourite beverage.  Whilst chilling out, you might also like to leave a comment in the section below.

Great article on plagiarism

An interesting summary of some recent research in how we learn and some of the proven techniques that may help you and your students. 

This Langwitches Blog is often a good, thought-provoking read.

Seven media savvy skills useful for all parents.

Really interesting article based on research into confusion being a good aid to learning.  Works for me as I’m often confused, but good to know the research backs me up. 

A simple, but effective way of demonstrating how effective teachers use technology.

Really interesting read about how synchronous and asynchronous meetings can work to your advantage.

IBM computer geeks have been working on the 5 senses and integrating them into computers.  This is a series of 5 video clips talking about how our lives will change in 5 years.

Ian Jukes answering some FAQ’s he has been asked during presentations about digital youth.

This comes from a primary teaching blog but is equally relevant to our setting and has some good points to make or reinforce.

Using the internet and social media to enhance social-emotional learning.

SCIENCE

Every meteorite fall on earth mapped and tabulated.  Fascinating stuff!

ENGLISH 

Novel studies and how to improve close readings.

A somewhat  whimsical and light bit of chatter about the Oxford comma and whether or not one should use it.  Have a read and come to your own conclusion.

“Acoustic liberation of books in the public domain.  LibriVox recordings are Public Domain in the USA. If you are not in the USA, please verify the copyright status of these works in your own country before downloading, otherwise you may be violating copyright laws.”

IPAD APPS

These are some of the ways iPADS and other tablets are being used across the globe in schools .  It’s relevant as some of our Year 7s arriving in 2015 may well have been using iPADS in primary school and may have lots of Apple  skills that will be slightly different to those required for a Windows based laptop.

One-stop shop for iPAD apps

Apps for students with special needs.

And I’ll leave you on this rainy Tuesday with this simple quote:

Cheers and have a wonderful week,

Linda